Vancouver Drum Lessons
Looking for Vancouver drum lessons? You’ve come to the right place!
My name is Duran Ritz. I am an international touring and award winning Vancouver based drummer. Welcome to my drum studio.
So often I hear, “I’ve always had a secret dream of getting on stage and playing the drums.” And why wouldn’t you dream of that? Being onstage playing music is amazing. I’m here to take you from dream to reality.
Whether your want to be a rockstar, brush up on old drumming skills, jam out with your friends, or just learn something new, I can help you.
Duran Ritz gives Private Drum Instruction to Students in Vancouver of All Ages
I get really excited when I talk to people who are interested in learning the drums. I truly love getting the chance to bring someone into my world and show them just how awesome drumming is.
Learning to play an instrument is one of the best ways to exercise your brain and grow as a person. It has been proven that critical development and problem solving centers of your brain are activated while playing an instrument. Just check out this article on what happens when you play an instrument to see just how much of an impact music can have.
Drumming has brought so many great things to my life that I want to share it with you.
Custom Drum Lessons Tailored to Each Individual
I am truly commitment to providing every one of my students with the best experience possible. My aim is to create a relaxed atmosphere that allows you to comfortably learn with ease. I believe this approach to be the strongest method for lasting results.
I have a proven record of happy students and am always working to be the best drum instructor in Vancouver, BC. I am amongst the top drum teachers in the city, and when you sit down for your first lesson, I’m sure you’ll agree.
Many past students have gone on to play music professionally in bands, studios, tours, and orchestras. Some of my students have moved on to study at prestigious music schools such as Berklee, McGill, Humber, University of Toronto, University of Southern California, and the University of North Texas.
My policy is to help students explore music in a fun and interactive way. You may begin with small goals, but I guarantee you’ll end up learning more than you ever thought.
Great Studio With Easy Access For Students in Burnaby, Richmond, Coquitlam, and North Vancouver
My private studio has a central Vancouver location allowing easy access for students anywhere in the GVA. Those in surrounding cities such as Richmond, Burnaby, Coquitlam, North Vancouver, Delta, or New Westminster can easily reach me:
4-1140 Clark Dr,
Vancouver, BC, V5L 3K3
View in Maps
My preference is to teach students locally in person, but if you are outside of Vancouver, can't find time to drive in, or even live outside of BC, I offer drum instruction online via Skype.
Some of my previous students have been in locations such as Edmonton, Montreal, Pittsburgh, and California. If that sounds like you, head to my contact page and fire me a message for more details.
What are Drum Lessons Like?
Drum lessons with me are always private, one-on-one style sessions. I find private lessons to be far superior to a group approach as I can focus all of my attention on one student at a time.
As a bonus, I always use two drum kits in my studio. Two kits allows me to easily demonstrate concepts which you can try yourself right away.
Both drum sets I use are of professional quality and are well maintained by me. These are the same sets that I personally use on gigs. Most standard drum schools use electronic kits or cheap sounding “beater” kits with low quality cymbals. Getting to work with good equipment is always better.
Lessons are either 30 minutes to 1 hour in length and usually happen at a set time once a week. Check out my pricing sheet to determine which scenario would fit best for you.
You don’t need to own any equipment to start! I provide all of the learning materials used, and will give you a notebook full of everything we covered for that lesson. If you have sticks already, great! I’ll always have a pair you can use if you don’t.
Because I teach students of all levels, I prefer to tailor lessons to each student personally. Everyone is different and learn at their own pace. There is no one method that will work for every drummer, so the personalized approach is the only way to go.
Read below to find out what kind of lesson you’d have:
BEGINNER DRUM LESSONS:
Beginner lessons usually start with the very basics: How to hold the sticks and use them properly, the names of the drums, where to sit, etc. Next we move onto early coordination, reading, and by the end of the first lesson, you’ll be playing a full beat.
For beginners, I tend to focus on rock and pop styles of music because they are the easiest to grasp quickly. Once you are comfortable behind the kit and understand the basic concepts, we can begin to move into styles and topics that are of more interest to you.
I love teaching beginners because they learn fast and always have a fun time. Don’t be fooled, drums can be tricky at first, but I have never failed at getting a student to successfully play along to a song. I promise it will be the same for you.
INTERMEDIATE DRUM LESSONS:
Intermediate studies usually involve more technically demanding concepts such as jazz, funk and ghost notes, latin styles, reading, rudiments, etc. These lessons are where things start to get really fun.
Many of my intermediate students either want to get back into drumming after a long break or are already learning and just want to get to the next level. Whether you’re looking for a tune-up or have been taking lessons for a while, I have plenty of new things to show you.
Initially, I’ll take the time to assess where you’re at and determine what needs improvement. Then I will give you a series of exercises and songs blended with what you’re personal goals and interests are. You will be challenged, but I guarantee it will always be fun.
Intermediate students are great because you already have the basics under control, which gives me more time to fix bad habits and improve upon what you already know.
ADVANCED DRUM LESSONS:
I am overjoyed if you are an advanced drummer. This is because you’ve been here before. You’re no stranger to performing and have already spent time with a few private lesson instructors.
Since basic things like reading and learning styles of music are out of the way, I can pinpoint every minor issue with your playing and teach you how to fix them. If you are just looking for new practice concepts, technique checks, or even career advice, I can help.
I have helped students 2x the speed of their double strokes, increase sight-reading skills, prep for auditions, and in some cases, have subbed out gigs to them. If you would consider yourself an advanced student and aren’t sure if I can show you anything new, try me.
FOR ALL LEVELS:
I like to know what kind of music interests you. We will play along to songs, which I find to be a great practice tool. I promise lessons will be fun and you will never leave without learning something.
What Topics Do You Teach?
When it comes to drums, there is a lot that can be covered. Here is just a sample of some subjects that will be discussed:
• How to hold drum sticks
• How to hit a drum
• Using a metronome
• Reading drum music
• How to play rock and pop grooves
• Rim shots
• Drum fills
• Speed and accuracy
• Drumming mechanics and tone production
• How to build “chops”
• Hi hat techniques
• Bass drum techniques
• Funk and ghost notes
• Styles: bossa, samba, calypso, jazz, shuffle, etc…
• Ostinato studies
• Trading 2’s, 4’s, and 8’s
• Playing in a band
• Music business info
• How to take care of drums
• Drum tuning
• Gig and audition prep
• And much much more
To be honest, over the years I have encountered nearly every music situation imaginable. I’ve performed and recorded in many different styles of music. If there is a specific topic you’d like to cover, feel free to send me a message and ask about it.
With So Many Options Available, Why Choose Lessons With Me?
More than anything, I want you to be excited about learning to play the drums. When it comes to drum education, there are always alternatives. If another situation is a better fit for you, I will still be happy you’re making your dreams a reality.
Let me list the main differences between myself and some other options:
BIG MUSIC SCHOOLS:
- More affordable way to have an instructor check in on technique and progress
- Plenty of teachers and schedule options to choose from
- Chance of finding a location close to home
- Music schools pressure instructors to teach everyone that wants lessons even if it isn’t a good fit. Regardless of age, style, skill level, you’re simply put in the database and assigned a teacher
- Since they charge less, bigger schools require a large volume of students to operate. Some teachers could be assigned over 50 students a week! This does not allow instructors ample time to get to know their students. Additionally, overloaded teachers tend to experience fatigue resulting in subpar lessons
- When it comes to drums, schools are forced to use electronic kits in order to keep the volume down. This provides an unrealistic experience and is just plain unsatisfying
- It is unknown the level of education or experience your teacher will have. Music schools typically underpay their staff, which lowers the talent pool significantly
- Bigger schools are all about numbers and treat lessons with a revolving-door policy. Teachers may not care about their students and will simply give cookie-cutter lessons that might not work for everyone
- Plenty of kids around. Of course you could be a huge fan of that, but being surrounded by six-year olds while you wait for a music lesson might not be your thing
- Nearly limitless options in terms of teachers, styles, and cost
- Many free options available that could keep you busy without ever spending a dime
- Paid programs are still very affordable
- Learn from home at your own pace and schedule
- With such an overwhelming amount of resources available, it can be very difficult to know which is the best one for you
- No way to know if the information shared is correct. This is the internet after all…
- Most courses are not laid out with any sort of plan. No planning makes it difficult to know what to study next and focus your time on
- You are left without a professional to physically check up on your technique and progress leaving you alone in your studies with no benchmarks
- The only thing that keeps you learning is yourself. For the motivated, this works, for the majority, you may find yourself paying for a course you never use
LESSONS WITH DURAN RITZ:
- I have over 20 years of drumming education and experience that you get to benefit from. Check out my media page to see me actually drumming and head to my bio page for more information about me. I promise I know what I doing!
- I have had the luxury of learning from some amazing instructors myself. Those teachers have also studied from their own amazing teachers. This generational knowledge will be passed on to you
- I provide professional level drum sets and cymbals that you will learn on
- I only take on as many students as I can properly handle. Providing proper attention and care to each one of my students is very important to me
- I am available by phone, email, or text at anytime. Some of my students will send me photos of something I’ve written down to ask for more clarification. I love that!
- I will constantly be checking your progress and correcting technique errors every time we meet. Your progress is very important to me. Not only does it reflects on me as a teacher, but it keeps you motivated and excited to continue learning
- You get to learn in a cool studio surrounded by BC’s vibrant music culture. You may stumble into a Vancouver rockstar while walking through the halls. Who knows??
What do Drum Lessons Cost?
I have multiple options available depending on what you’re interested in. Click here to see my pricing sheet. Lesson packs are available if you happen to be a “bundler” like me.
Looking for Drum Lessons in Vancouver, Get in Contact With Duran Today!
If you would like to take lessons with me or still have some questions, please fill out the contact form at the bottom of this page. For more information on how I can be reached, head to my contact page. I personally read every message I get and will contact you as soon as possible with more information.
Begin today, and find quality drum lessons in Vancouver for yourself. Let’s make those dreams a reality!